« Home | Lunes! » | something old, something new. » | The Sea is the place to be! »

sweet escapes.

Today has been a pretty exciting day for me, music-wise. Main topic, I went to Barnes and Noble. I scanned through some of the CDs and saw they had L Tunes: Music from and inspired by The L Word on sale. Now, I've never seen an episode of this show, but the previews look good, the music is fucking awesome ("Playgirl" by Ladytron? Awesome.), and plus, it's a gay show. Gotta support. Well, anyway, I was pretty excited because the soundtrack had some cool songs on it; one of my favorites being Johnny Boy's "Fifteen Minutes."

Now, I know some of you are probably going "who?", but I've got a story to clear it all up. Two years ago, I went to New York City for the very first time. It was a group trip, so I went with a group of people I didn't really know. One group of girls were constant bargain hunters- if they saw ANYONE with a trashbag, they asked, "Show us the goods!" They were buying endless numbers of purses, wallets, shoes, etc. And we all just...didn't get it. Now, I do, but back then, it seemed a bit wasteful. Well, anyway, then we all went to Virgin Megastore and I headed to the vinyl section. There was a nice selection of 33s and 45s. I decided to look around, and I found a 45 that had a city street scene, and on a billboard said "YOU ARE THE GENERATION THAT BOUGHT MORE SHOES, AND YOU GET WHAT YOU DESERVE!" I immediately giggled and thought of the group of girls. The cover looked so cool, I had to buy it. I ended up showing it to someone referencing the girls...only to have one of them come up behind me and say, "Whatcha lookin' at?" Embarrassing.

But, anyway, I listened to the 45 all the time and loved it. The song is undeniably catchy with its "Yeah Yeah!" chorus and great build up. I wanted to know more about this amazing band who I happened to just...discover. I came to very little, but I found some great MP3s and (thanks to The L Word) their myspace. Check it out.

Since their album is EXTREMLY hard to find, I'll post two MP3s: The title track, and a fun one called "Fifteen Minutes"

Johnny Boy- "You are the generation that bought more shoes, and you get what you deserve!"

Johnny Boy- "Fifteen Minutes"

(You can buy their album, JOHNNY BOY, from them directly at their myspace.)

Since I'm on a queer TV spree, I'll post an extremely rare song by a cool band called Baby Fox.

Baby Fox is a nineties trip-hop band consisting of vocalist Christine Leach and producers Alex Gray and Dwight Clarke. If you're a fan of the Showtime series Queer As Folk, you'll recognize this song from Season One, Episode Six (it's at the end where Dr. David asks Michael, "Who do you think about when you close your eyes?"...heartbreaking. butanyway...). I saw the episode, heard the song, and had to find out more. I couldn't come up with much, just these two websites (ONE, TWO) which, even then, provided me with very little info. I finally found an MP3 of "Ladybird," and this band has skyrocketed to one of my favorites. It's sinister, yet exciting, and pretty refreshing.

Baby Fox- "Ladybird"
(I wish I had a buy link, but their albums are out of print. :( )

Well, I hope you enjoyed this post, and hey! if you learned about someone new, great! I tried to go a bit on the edge for this post. Comment if you take anything, please! Have a great weekend!

Labels: ,

Links

  • Google
  • Epitonic.com
  • The Hype Machine
  • my myspace page.

  • Disclaimer

    The MP3s provided on this site are for you to preview and discover a new artist. If you enjoy what you hear, please support the artists and buy their albums. I know they'll appreciate it.

    If you're an artist whose MP3s are posted here and you'd like them to be removed, e-mail me at spinrocker@hotmail.com and they'll be removed immediately.